My Nursing Career
My Nursing Career
Word count: 2344
Choice count: 31
Section count: 22
Image count: 22
Error count: 0
Field Related Analysis
Education : 122 matches
(cegep, choice, class, college, diagnostic, diploma, don, down, evaluation, examinations, failure, field, first, graduate, knowledge, learn, learning, memory, options, project, register, report, school, semester, social, student, students, term, test, training, unit, university)Paramedics : 92 matches
(care, catheter, diabetes, diploma, heart, hospital, medication, medicine, nurse, nurses, nursing, patient, patients, pediatric, profession, report, sleep, stethoscope, supervisor, surgery, treat, unit, vital signs)Archaeology : 60 matches
(alienation, class, comes, contract, evaluation, evolution, form, group, her, here, hide, keep, study, tell, thing, till, unit)Target Structure: (26 matches)
alienation (1 match)
come in handy (1 match)
dead-end job (1 match)
dread (1 match)
foot in the door (1 match)
fulfillment (1 match)
in-depth (1 match)
intern (3 matches)
internship (8 matches)
invaluable (1 match)
lack of (1 match)
learn the ropes (1 match)
misconduct (1 match)
ojt (3 matches)
overtime (4 matches)
overwhelmed (1 match)
premium wage (1 match)
retirement (7 matches)
set aside (1 match)
sexual harassment (1 match)
straight a's (1 match)
wage (1 match)
threatening (1 match)
volunteers (1 match)
volunteering (3 matches)
abroad (3 matches)
My Nursing Career
My last semester in Cegep.
Here we are. Last semester in college. I am so exiting and proud of my fulfillment. I just bought my first stethoscope ever. After three years of hard work and straight A's, I am graduating from nursing school. But what should I do next? I have two options. I can decide to continue my studies or start working at the hospital straight away.
Choice 1 : Start working.
Choice 2 : Choose university.

Start working.
I so tired of studying. I am done with school and being overwhelmed by tests and exams. I can finally quit my dead-end job in a grocery store and start my real career. I am happy with my decision because I have two great opportunities. I have the choice of going to work in my dream hospital in St-Justine or the unique experience of going to work in northern Quebec, in Nunavut.
Choice 1 : Choose St-Justine Hospital.
Choice 2 : Choose to go work in Nunavut.
Choose university.
I want to continue to go to school in the field of nursing because I am passionate about it. I want to continue learning about different diseases, such as diabetes, kidney failure or heart problems. I want to have as much knowledge as possible in order to be able to treat my patients well. All this knowledge also come in handy to motivate me to keep healthy lifestyle habits.Having done more study will also allow me to get a better job and get a premium wage. I think going to university is a good decision for all these reasons. Now, I have to chose witch university.
Choice 1 : Move to Sherbrooke and go to university there.
Choice 2 : Stay in Montreal and go to university here.
Choose St-Justine Hospital.
Is it finally my first day as a nurse. I am in the pediatric unit, and I love it. It is only my first day, but I already did a lot of tings. I am taking some vital signs and doing a blood test. It is four o'clock, and it is time to go home. I am exhausted. Next morning, I wake up at 6 o'clock and going to work. I didn't sleep very well, I'm very tired. I am distributing the morning medication. First patient done. I am going to the next one. Oh, no! I make a mistake. I give the wrong medication to the wrong patient. It is only my second day here, what should I do? Should I tell my supervisor or not tell anyone my mistake and hide it.
Choice 1 : Tell my supervisor.
Choice 2 : Not tell anyone.
Choose to go work in Nunavut.
What a good choice. I really like to work in Nunavut. I am helping people who need it. I think I have a real positive impact in their lives. It's a challenge to work there because I have access to very few resources. In Montreal, we have quick and efficient access to diagnostic examinations, such as an X-ray or an MRI. Here, access is not always fast and sometimes the access is just impossible. I have become very resourceful. I've been here for 6 months now and my contract is over. I really like making a difference in people's lives, so I am thinking of volunteering abroad. On the other side, I really miss my family, so I also want to go back to Montreal. What should I do?
Choice 1 : Volunteering abroad.
Choice 2 : Go back to Montreal.
Move to Sherbrooke and go to university there.
I want to live a new experience and sherbrooke is a good university. I move from the family house, and I rented an apartment in the student residence. It is my first night here. I am tired after the move. I want to sleep early, but it is impossible because the other students are partying in the residence. The music is loud. Next morning, it is the first day of class. I feel rejected from the group. Everyone talks to each other, and I'm sitting alone in the back of the class. It's alienation. I am set aside form the group. I have two choices. I can stay in this class even if I feel rejected from the group, or I can stop university and start an on-the-job training.
Choice 1 : OJT.
Choice 2 : Stay in this class.
Stay in Montreal and go to university here.
I really like the University of Montreal. I have a lot of new nurses friends. After two years of hard work, I have finished university in nursing. Before receiving our diploma, I have a final internship of one month to complete, but I am questioning myself if I should take a little break. In fact, I want to discover the world before becoming a real nurse because I will maybe never have the opportunity after. On the other side, the school offer a really nice internship and if I don't take it, I will have to find an internship by myself. Should I take a break and do my internship after or should I do it now?
Choice 1 : Take a break and travel.
Choice 2 : Internship.
Tell my supervisor.
Okay, I can do this. I mean it is clearly the best decision to make. I am so scared to tell her. I don't know what she will do. I am dread because this is all my fault. I should have double check the medication and the patient. I take a deep breath and walk over to her office. I explain to her my mistake and that I am so sorry. Luckily she doesn't look too angry. At least they weren't life-threatening medications. It was only acetaminophen and vitamins. My supervisor says that everyone makes mistakes. She asks me be careful next time before giving medicine to a patient. She also explains to me that we have a lack of staffs and that I should have been accompanied all day because I am new. She takes responsibility. I end my career at St-Justine hospital, and I am happy.
Choice 1 : Retirement.
Not tell anyone.
I can not tell anyone my mistake. What will they think about me? I am new here, and it is my dream job. I can't take the chance to get fired. I hide this, and finish my day. Two weeks later, my supervisor wants to meet me in her office. I don't know how, but they find out about my mistake. Oh, no! What will happen? She explains to me that I should have told her as soon as I made the mistake. If I had told her, I probably wouldn't have had any big consequences. Since I didn't tell her, she can't trust me. Trust in her employee is the most important thing for her. She fired me. I am so sad and so stupid. I don't want to be a nurse, it is over now. I lost my dream job. Wrong choice. Go back to the start.
Choice 1 : My last semester in Cegep.
Volunteering abroad.
Working as a nurse in Nunavut has been such a great experience that I want to do more. I realized how lucky I was to be healthy, but above all to have easy access to care. This is why I decided to register for Nurses Without Borders (NWB). I will work in Haiti in a local hospital. My mom is very skeptical about it. I explain to her my project in-depth. She sees the disadvantages only about it. Sure, the main disadvantage is the distance. I end up convincing her by listing all the advantages of this experience. We are 8 volunteers. The biggest advantage I realize once there is that we are making a huge difference. This is a really invaluable experience. My best memory is when I helped a new mom give birth. I have spent my entire career with NWB and now is the time to retire.
Choice 1 : Retirement.
Go back to Montreal.
I miss my family so much. I can't be far from them longer. I want to come back in Montreal. I have a job at the hospital near my home. I work in the medicine-surgery unit. This morning I have a patient who is so sweet. He is 90 years old and his family never comes to see him. I am sad because he is very bored alone. I take a picture with him that I post on my social media because I want to tell my friends to take the time to go see their grandparents. It means everything to them. Bad idea! It is forbidden to share photos of patients because it is a breach of confidentiality. I am fired because of this and the patient's family is suing me. Bad decision. Go back to the beginning.
Choice 1 : My last semester in Cegep.
Internship.
I am an intern at Sacre-Coeur hospital. Today, I saw a nurse steal narcotics. It's illegal and very serious. I'm only an intern here, so who will believe me? Should I report her anyway or act like I didn't see anything?
Choice 1 : Report her.
Choice 2 : Don't say anything.
Take a break and travel.
It is now or never. Travel around the world before being a real nurse. I found love in Italy. I will stay and live here. I'm not going to do my internship and I'll never be a nurse. Bad choice, back to the beginning.
Choice 1 : My last semester in Cegep.
OJT.
It is enough. I can't stay in this class. It is my first day of OJT. This job can get me a foot in the door. I arrive at the hospital. For my training, I am paired with a nurse who is experienced. She helps me learn the ropes of the job. I quickly became comfortable in my workplace. This morning I'm going to see the patient in room 203. I introduce myself. He responds with a very inappropriate comment. It made me very uncomfortable. I feel attacked. I can't believe that I just suffered a sexual harassment. I don't want to go back in this patient room. What should I do? Talk about the situation to my superior or say nothing?
Choice 1 : Talk to my superior.
Choice 2 : Say nothing.
Stay in this class.
I decide to endure and finish college. After two years, I graduate.I work in a long-term care centre. I love working with the elderly. I love taking care of them. I do a lot of bandages changes. I also do an evaluation of the evolution of the mental state for my patients with Alzheimer. Today one of my favorite patients passed away. I am sad. I am working during the day. The nurse who works the evening is sick. We are understaffed tonight. My superior asks me to do an over time till midnight. I am tired and the death of my patient has really shaken me. Should I take the overtime or go home?
Choice 1 : Overtime.
Choice 2 : Go home.
Talk to my superior.
I can not work in fear. I don't want to take care of this patient. I can't. I talk about this with my superior. She supports me. She offers me to go home to rest. She promises me that he won't be my patient anymore. Only male nurses will take care of this patient from now on. I made the right decision. I return home and rest. The next morning, the patient is no longer on my unit. I am relieved. I'm finishing my career working on this unit, and I'm happy.
Choice 1 : Retirement.
Say nothing.
I decide not to say anything. I work in fear and stress. The next morning, my colleague asks me to install a venous catheter to this patient. I am scared. I have to go because it's my job. It's a bad decision. He does much worse than say a comment. He does a big misconduct. I'm traumatized. I can't stay here. I get depressed. Wrong choice. Back at the beginning.
Choice 1 : My last semester in Cegep.
Overtime.
I agree to stay until midnight. It is a bad idea. I’m so distracted. I made some mistakes. My charting is incomplete. I forget to take a blood sample and vital signs. I accept too much overtime. I am in a burn-out. Back to the start.
Choice 1 : My last semester in Cegep.
Go home.
I feel bad letting my team and patients down, but I can not stay here. I’m too tired I risk putting patients at risk. I’m going home to rest. Right decision. I end my career by working in the long-term care centre. I am happy.
Choice 1 : Retirement.
Report her.
Even if I’m just an intern, stealing a narcotic is illegal. It’s my duty to report it. My supervisor thanks me for my honesty. She suspected that this nurse was stealing the drugs, but she has no evidence. This nurse is dismissed. My supervisor offers me a job as soon as my internship ends because she trusts me. I finish my career after 20 years at the same place as my internship.
Choice 1 : Retirement.
Don't say anything.
A week later, someone denounces the nurse who stole the narcotics. My supervisor knows I didn’t say anything. I’m considered an accomplice. I am fired. Back to the start.
Choice 1 : My last semester in Cegep.
Retirement.
It is now time to retire. I love my profession. I love being a nurse. I love to take care of others. It is time to take care of me. I had a great career with many challenges and decisions. I am happy. For my retirement, I buy a boat, and I want to go around the lakes of Quebec. Goodbye nursing. END.
Write a choice here.
Comments
Post a Comment